BNI Investigating Rawlings’ Death? Two aides of the late ex-president picked up

Former President Jerry John Rawlings died Former President Jerry John Rawlings died

Exactly a week after the death of former President Jerry John Rawlings, two aides of his, have been picked up by officers of the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) from their homes in what appears to be an investigation into the death of the former Ghanaian leader.

BNI, is yet to go public on why the two; Barbara and Thelma, were picked up by their operatives yesterday, November 19.

Mr Rawlings, had a couple of houses, including his beachfront home at Vume in the Volta Region and it is not clear which of them, Barbara and Thelma, worked.

The operatives, were said to be wearing mask, hence couldn't be identified, but before leaving the homes of the two ladies, they left a note that they were taking them to the offices of the BNI.

The cause of death of the late Ghanaian leader at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital a week yesterday, has not been stated, hence left to wild speculations.

While some have said he died from COVID-19, others have claimed that Mr Rawlings died from a heart-related condition, but both his family and the medical doctors who attended to him, are yet to talk.

The manner of their entering into the house, according to eyewitnesses who spoke to Oman TV, depicted the activities of an armed-robbery.

A daughter of one of the arrested persons told 3FM in an interview that security operatives numbering about twenty showed up in their home in the early hours of yesterday and asked them to surrender their phones.

She said also that a young boy, who was preparing for school, was alarmed by the incident and sent a text message to his parents, who came around and were also asked to surrender their mobile phones.

Their mobile phones were seized and movement was restricted for several hours.

At about 9:00 am, the officials went away with the phones and amount of money they cannot disclose.

"A number of security operatives fully armed numbering about twenty barged into our home this morning around 6:00am for information and ransacked the whole house."

"Our mobile phones were seized and movement restricted till about 9:00am. As at now, we're hungry and even scared to move though they aren't around," she said.