Ghanaians Waking Up To Akufo-Addo’s Tricks & Impunity -As Ghana Armed Forces Hands Over Deadly Specialized Army Unit To Rogue Soldier

Kan-Dapaah, National Security Minister, Vice Admiral Seth Amoama, Maj. General oppong-peprah, Lieutenant Colonel Frank Agyeman Kan-Dapaah, National Security Minister, Vice Admiral Seth Amoama, Maj. General oppong-peprah, Lieutenant Colonel Frank Agyeman

Ghanaians, are waking up to the tricks and impunity with which the country is being governed as the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) has shockingly appointed Lieutenant Colonel Frank Agyeman, as the Commanding Officer of the 64 Infantry Battalion, the Commando unit of the military.

His appointment came a day after, he was supposedly sacked from the National Security Ministry by the Minister, Albert Kan-Dapaah, as the Director of Operations, who had surprisingly kicked a journalist of Citi FM and Citi TV, Caleb Kudah in the groin for taking pictures and videos of some cars parked on the premises of Ministry.

Lt. Col. Agyeman's new job by this appointment, is to provide personal security for the President, Nana Akufo-Addo.

The dreaded 64 Infantry Battalion, established by the late Jerry John Rawlings with the late Brigadier General Gbeve as its first Commander to ex-National Security Coordinator Lt. Col Larry Gbevlo-Lartey to Major General Thomas Oppong-Peprah, the current Army Commander, has the mandate to provide a detailed VVIP protection for the President and the Presidency.

The appointment means that Lt. Col. Agyeman, has not been taken away from the National Security Ministry, but has rather been promoted to carry out a high responsibility.

It also means that, he is still under the Office of the President just like his previous position as the Director of Operations at the Ministry of National Security.

Kan-Daapaah is yet to speak on the matter, but many see the appointment as disrespect to his office by the Army Commander, Brigadier General Thomas Oppong-Peprah for not heeding the directive to investigate and punish Lt. Col. Agyeman, others believe the appointment is to court the rogue soldier's unflinching loyalty.

But there is yet another school of thought, which suggest that claim of the National Security sending away Lt. Col Agyemang for investigations and punishment by the GAF, was a charade to quieten the bad publicity the Akufo-Addo government was receiving, following the assault on the journalist, as well as the Rambo-style storming of Citi-TV and Citi FM by heavily armed operatives of National Security to arrest a lady journalist who supposedly received the pictures and videos taken by Mr Kudah at the National Security car park.

Many have since taken on the government over the appointment of the Lieutenant Colonel Frank Agyeman, as the Commanding Officer of the 64 Infantry Battalion.

For instance, the United Press for Development Network, UPDN, has called on President Akufo-Addo, to act on the appointment.

They want the President to do this in his capacity as the Commander-In-Chief of the Ghana Armed Forces.

The temporary transfer of Lt Col Frank Agyeman and three police officers to the Ministry was terminated for inappropriate conduct, following the arrest and assault of Caleb Kudah, and the harassment of Zoe Abu Baidoo Addo, also a Citi FM journalist.

The statement that announced the decision of the National Security Ministry, also directed that Lt Col. Agyeman and the other officers must be probed further for the necessary actions to be taken.

It is unclear, for now whether this further probe has taken place.

The United Press for Development Network in a statement, said it is an "uttermost disrespect to the people of Ghana".

It therefore wants President Akufo-Addo to immediately take steps to address the issue.

"Considering the refusal to deny the news reportage and the loud silence of the government, we are tempted to believe this unfortunate development and hereby call on President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo as the Commander In Chief of the Ghana Armed Forces to immediately show interest to discontinue this stillness on a matter that seeks to disrupt the public confidence and embolden cruelty in our state security architecture."

Meanwhile, it has also urged Parliament to consider a parliamentary probe into the whole matter.

"We call on the people's representatives (Parliament) to file an urgent question or consider a Parliamentary probe into the matter as Parliament resumes duties today, Tuesday 25th May 2021."

Caleb Kudah was arrested for filming some abandoned cars at the Ministry of National Security, a supposed restricted security zone.

He was at the Ministry to verify a claim by an official of MASLOC that all the cars had been given out, following complaints about the wastage of public funds on social media.

A team of heavily-armed SWAT police officers were subsequently dispatched to arrest Zoe Abu-Baidoo Addo at the premises of Citi FM/Citi TV.

This is because Caleb had forwarded the footage he captured to Zoe via WhatsApp.

Following his release, Caleb recounted harrowing experiences during his time with the National Security operatives, saying he was slapped several times and kicked in the groin.

Meanwhile, the National Media Commission (NMC), has revealed that it is yet to receive a formal response from the National Security Ministry, as part of its mandate to look into the assault on Caleb Kudah, and the invasion of Citi FM's premises after it was petitioned by management of the media house.

The NMC had indicated earlier on that its probe into the matter would be completed within 14 days, but with four days to the deadline, the Ministry is yet to communicate to the Commission on the complaints of Citi FM and Citi TV about the "inappropriate" conduct of its operatives.

Executive Director of the National Media Commission, George Sarpong, in a Citi News interview indicated that despite the timelines it scheduled with the Ministry and the failure to reply, it will still go ahead with its hearing of the substantive matter.

"We said, we have referred the matter to the Ministry of National Security for comments. We did that, exactly the same day we received the petition. We gave them up until yesterday [Monday], to get their response to us, and then we indicated that we will proceed with the hearing of the matter on Wednesday. I am yet to see the response from the Ministry. But whatever it is, our hearing of the case on Wednesday stands".

Citi FM and Citi TV, have specifically petitioned the NMC to use its mandate under the constitution that enjoins it to ensure the safety of journalists, to investigate or cause to be investigated the two incidents, and recommend appropriate actions.