A Presidential Staffer at the Jubilee House, Charles Nii Teiko Tagoe, has disclosed his COVID-19 status, claiming he tested positive to the novel virus, but has become one of the thousands of infested persons, who have successfully recovered.
Although, NiiTeikoTagoe, the leader of President Nana Akufo-Addo's social media army, did not mention the exact date he got to know about his condition, he said he found out his COVID-19 status weeks ago,
"A couple of weeks ago, I tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. By God's will and grace, I have survived and have fully recovered. It is unimaginable what one has to go through for the 14 days living with COVID" Charles Nii Teiko Tagoe, who sounded, rather very sober, revealed on his Facebook wall.Â
He is so far, the only person inside the Jubilee House, to step forward and admit to his condition. Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah over two weeks ago, claimed President Akufo-Addo's self-isolation over COVID-19, was caused by a member of his security detail. But he failed to give out a name.
The Herald subsequently noticed completely new persons operating as members of the President's security team.
It is unclear, whether contact tracing and other safety protocols were followed to the latter, in order not to get more people at the Presidency infested.
According to the Presidential Staffer, he took the trouble to share his experience with the deadly virus, to support measures put in place to stop it spread. The four paragraph message in his words, were his own way of assisting curb stigmatization.
"I am sharing my journey with you, with the hope that you will find it informative enough to help curb the spread. We have the power to slow and stop this virus. Whilst we are at it, let us say no to COVID stigmatization.Â
If the virus did not end my [life] and livelihood, the stigma from members of community, should not. My name is Charles Nii Teiko Tagoe and I say NO to stigmatization.#SayNoToStigmatization", he concluded.
Charles Nii Teiko Tagoe, wore a blue polo shirt with the inscription "I have been attacked by COVID-19. I have survived it and fully recovered".
The confession by the man in-charge of President Akufo-Addo's social media platforms, comes weeks after many denials by the Presidency that the Jubilee House, has not recorded cases of the virus leading to suspension of all Cabinet meetings.
Before his disclosure, social media, especially Facebook was buzzing with the statuses of many officials from the Presidency, but government denied such.
The statement announcing the decision by the President to go into self-isolation on Saturday July 4, 2020, refused to mention who at the seat of government came into contact with him.
According to the release, the president tested negative for COVID-19, but "has elected to take this measure out of the abundance of caution."Â
The statement which was signed by the Information Minister said "On the advice of doctors, the President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, is from today, July 4, 2020, taking a fourteen (14) day precautionary self-isolation measure in compliance with COVID-19 protocols".
It noted that "The President has elected to do so after at least one person within his close circle tested positive for COVID-19 today".
Meanwhile, the President completed his 14-day self-isolation last Saturday, July 18, 2020. The president went on self-isolation on Saturday, July 4 after "at least one person within his close circle tested positive for Covid-19 [on July 4, 2020]".