Danish player, Christian Eriksen is unlikely to play again after suffering a cardiac arrest at the Euro 2020 tournament during Saturday's Group B clash between Denmark and Finland on Saturday evening, June 12.
Eriksen, 29, fell to the ground in shocking scenes at the Parken Stadium, soon before half-time and was treated on the pitch before being taken to hospital
The first-round match was suspended with players from both sides in clear distress before resuming some two hours later after Eriksen was said to be in a stable condition.
Now, cardiologist Professor Sanjay Sharma, who previously worked with Eriksen at Tottenham Hotspur, says he doubts the player will continue playing football.
Sharma, professor of sports cardiology at London's St George's University, said football bodies and medical practitioners were likely to be "very strict" about allowing Eriksen to play again.
Sharma said: "Clearly something went terribly wrong.
"But they managed to get him back, the question is what happened? And why did it happen?
"This guy had normal tests all the way up to 2019 so how do you explain this cardiac arrest?"
Sharma, who chairs the English FA's expert cardiac consensus group, said there were multiple reasons a cardiac arrest could have happened, such as high temperatures or an unidentified condition.
But he said reports after the match that Eriksen was awake in hospital were "a very good sign".
"I'm very pleased. The fact he's stable and awake, his outlook is going to be very good," he told the PA news agency.
"I don't know whether he'll ever play football again.
"Without putting it too bluntly, he died today, albeit for a few minutes, but he did die and would the medical professional allow him to die again? The answer is no."
He added: "The good news is he will live, the bad news is he was coming to the end of his career, so would he play another professional football game, that I can't say.
"In the UK he wouldn't play. We'd be very strict about it."
Denmark coach Kasper Hjulmand struggled to hold back tears during his post-match press conference and revealed his side had the choice of finishing the Group B opener on the night or returning on Sunday June 13.
"It was more unmanageable to have to restart tomorrow. It was more unmanageable than going back out now and getting it all put behind us," he said.
"I could not be more proud of this team, who take good care of each other.
"There are players in there who are completely finished emotionally. Players who on another day could not play this match. They are supporting each other. It was a traumatic experience."
Source: Albert Hyde
KNUST students ordered to leave campus by Saturday
V/R: Three arrested for police recruitment scam
E/R: Both male and female students of Apeguso SHS share same pit latrine
Your hypocrisy over economic statistics annoying – Mahama to economic experts
Rasta student quits Achimota for GIS following AG’s appeal
CID petitioned over WASSCE leakage
Western Region Minister denies asking MMDAs for funds for father’s funeral
Let’s deal decisively with political situation in Guinea – Akufo-Addo urges ECOWAS leaders
Africa faces 470 million COVID-19 vaccine shortfall in 2021 -WHO
Harruna Attah writes: In fairness to Rawlings…