At least 110 rice farmers and fisherman have been brutally slaughtered and beheaded by suspected Islamist militants in Nigeria.
The workers had been tied up and had their throats slit in the horrific attack in Borno state.
The attack is believed to have been carried out by Boko Haram although they are yet to claim responsibility, and villagers buried the bodies of the victims on Sunday.
The bodies of 43 farm workers are seen during a funeral in Zabarmari, Nigeria, after they were killed by suspected Boko Haram fighters in rice fields near
Villagers in Borno buried the victims on Sunday while security forces hunted for the dozens still missing with up to 70 people feared deadFarmers laid to rest after Boko Haram massacre in Nigeria 'At least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack,' the UN's humanitarian coordinator in the country Edward Kallon said in a statement. Initial tolls indicated 43 and then at least 70 dead from Saturday's massacre were killed by the suspected Boko Haram fighters.
'The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year,' Kallon said, blaming 'non-state armed groups' without naming Boko Haram.
'I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice,' he added.